The goal of the APOMA Apprenticeship Committee is to see the Precision Optics Manufacturing Technician apprenticeship recognized at the national level. Currently, the New York State certified Precision Optics Manufacturing Technician is established with an intermediary program funded by the Rochester Technology and Manufacturing Association (RTMA). Leading this effort is Alexis Vogt (Monroe Community College) and Jim VanKouwenberg (Optimax Systems).
Preparation of drawings for optical elements and systems
The APOMA ISO 10110 Committee is tasked with coordinating the adoption of ISO 10110 by APOMA members. The committee works closely with SPIE to provide courses on ISO 10110 at various industry conferences.
Trade Controls & Government Contracting
The American optics industry has historically worked closely with the United States Government. Government contracting has always been quite onerous. In recent years, there have been several new regulatory obligations that require our membership’s compliance. These regulations come from multiple government agencies and can be challenging for small independent manufacturers to stay educated and compliant. This section of the website will provide the latest information on how to stay compliant with trade controls and government contracting:
May 8, 2019: United States Trade Representative (“USTR”) releases a notification modifying the implementation of tariffs on Section 301 List 3 imports from China.
February 5, 2019: Photonics West APOMA General Meeting on trade controls and Government contracting
- New Global Standard
- FAR 52.204-21, Basic Safeguarding of Covered Contractor Information Systems
- New Military Contract Standard
- DFARS 252.204-7012, Safeguarding Covered Defense Information and Cyber Incident Reporting
- Latest ITAR compliance requirements and updates: (these are links to PPTs on the current APOMA site from the Jan 2019 gen’l mtg)
- Information Security for Government Contractors (BakerHostetler)
- Teaming agreements and Subcontracts for Government Contractors (BakerHostetler)